Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Making a Guy Card

My son-in-law Shannon had a birthday Monday March 17. Making guy cards is always difficult because they don't typically like flowers, lace, ribbon, and all that stuff we usually like to stick on a card. In my family, the guys tend to like hunting and fishing and not much else. They don't wear suits and ties as a general rule. They don't golf or go bowling. That rules out a lot of the design ideas that I've seen on Pinterest and elsewhere. But my son-in-law LOVES driving in demolition derbies. He's been doing this since before he married my daughter Lois. I went to one once when Lois was still pregnant with their oldest, my grandson Kyler, who is now 14 and has already driven in two demolition derbies. Anyway, at that derby about 15 years ago the drivers were out for blood. It was more than just a smash-em-and-crash-em. In one of the heats (fortunately one that my son-in-law was NOT in!), they flipped one car upside down and then the other cars attempted to pile on top of it. The driver in the upside-down car could have been crushed! I walked around that arena praying the whole time that my son-in-law was driving. His car got disabled right away and he just sat in one place for most of his heat. He was not a happy camper about it, but considering that we were there with my pregnant daughter, I was thanking the LORD. Anyway, since that derby I've never attended another one. I don't care to watch my son-in-law and now my grandson, too, risk their necks just to be the best at crashing into other cars. Weird!

However, all of that led me to consider using a demo derby theme on my son-in-law's birthday card. So here's what I came up with...


The background paper is a digital print, but for the life of me, I can't find the website where I got it from (I have a LOT of digital files saved). The POW! and BAM! wordarts are courtesy of Paulette at TLC Creations. I colored them with Sharpie markers. The Voo-Rooom! wordart is another digital image, but unfortunately I don't have any record of the artist to whom credit is due. I drew the two little cars crashing into each other. 

I didn't hear from my son-in-law about how he liked the card, but my daughter who is his wife thought it was great and that he'd like it a lot. On the inside I wrote: Hope you have a smashing good birthday and come out on top.

And that's how I made my latest guy card.

No comments: